Q. What is a Virtual Private Server?
A. Virtual Private Servers are the most advanced step in server
virtualization technology. They are used to partition a single physical
server into many (as many as 1000) isolated virtual private servers.
Each virtual privat server looks and behaves exactly like a real
networked server system, complete with its own set of init scripts,
users, processes, filesystems, etc.
Q. What Applications could be run within the Virtual Private Server?
A. Most of applications can be installed within of the Virtual Private
Server without any modifications. Website Source Hosting customers are
using Oracle, DB/2, Weblogic, Websphere and other commerical
applications quite succesfully. Applications and services do not have to
be aware of Virtuozzo. However, direct access to hardware is not
Q. Who needs Virtuozzo?
A. The short answer is - every system administrator needs it. Some examples of practical applications:
- Hosting - all ranges on the same platform, from low-level shared to
medium-power virtual server to powerful dedicated servers - seamless
scaling up in the same safe virtual private server.
- Server consolidation - put together your existing servers and use more powerful and reliable hardware.
- Increase availability - keep an up-to-date copy of your virtual
private server on another server, and start it in seconds in case of
- Education - each student gets its own virtual server with root access
- Testing - safe experimentation on the machine that runs another services
- Clean sandbox - install each service in its own freshly created
Vritual Private Server, and you will never have to resolve dependency
- Multiversioning - keep "snapshots" of the project you are working on and be able to switch back and forth in seconds
- Improve network services security - run each server in its own
Virtual Private Server. If the application has a security hole, only
this particular virtual private server will be compromised, never the